Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday: Cake Stands

So, I've been wanting a cake stand for a while now, but I didn't feel like spending at least $30 or more. Found this great, super easy tutorial HERE. Try it out and let me know how it goes!

I went to the local thrift store and bought some sundae cups and glass plates.. less than $1 each.I used clear caulk (it looks like a white paste then dries clear) I used way too much here... about half this amount is good and not too thick.Wipe any excess caulk off with a wet q-tip.

Then let it dry for a few days (It took mine a good 2 days to dry)

Then once it dries.. you're all done!!


Then... I was at the dollar store last night and saw these... you can really make a cake stand with anything!

Here are some extra tips
  • Sand the areas you'll be gluing so it will hold better.
  • Use the E-6000 glue found at Walmart. I heard it's the best.
  • Let it sit for a couple days just to be extra safe:)
Have fun!

6 comments:

Laura K said...

How do people come up with these things--how easy and great! I'll have to try this...

Kathryn said...

very creative! awesome job!

michellejohnnie said...

so cute and easy!

ruth said...

Thank you for sharing. I've never wanted to pay $30 either. This is really a good idea. Thanks!

emphoto2003 said...

This is seriously cute! I am going to try this. Does it actually hold up? I sure would hate a big mess! I have wanted one of these for a long time.

Troy and Jen said...

I am definitely going to make one of these also :) I have wanted one for a while now too :) THANKS! Great tip.