Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday: Cake Stands

So, I've been wanting a cake stand for a while now, but I didn't feel like spending at least $30 or more. Found this great, super easy tutorial HERE. Try it out and let me know how it goes!

I went to the local thrift store and bought some sundae cups and glass plates.. less than $1 each.I used clear caulk (it looks like a white paste then dries clear) I used way too much here... about half this amount is good and not too thick.Wipe any excess caulk off with a wet q-tip.

Then let it dry for a few days (It took mine a good 2 days to dry)

Then once it dries.. you're all done!!


Then... I was at the dollar store last night and saw these... you can really make a cake stand with anything!

Here are some extra tips
  • Sand the areas you'll be gluing so it will hold better.
  • Use the E-6000 glue found at Walmart. I heard it's the best.
  • Let it sit for a couple days just to be extra safe:)
Have fun!

6 comments:

Laura K said...

How do people come up with these things--how easy and great! I'll have to try this...

Kathryn said...

very creative! awesome job!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

so cute and easy!

ruth said...

Thank you for sharing. I've never wanted to pay $30 either. This is really a good idea. Thanks!

ErinMartinez said...

This is seriously cute! I am going to try this. Does it actually hold up? I sure would hate a big mess! I have wanted one of these for a long time.

Jen said...

I am definitely going to make one of these also :) I have wanted one for a while now too :) THANKS! Great tip.