Friday, February 26, 2010

Adjustable Headbands

So I got my craft on tonight and made a quick project that I thought I would share with ya'll.  I can say ya'll now - I live in the South.

So...Here's what you need to get started.
  • Hot Glue Gun/Glue Sticks
  • 2 Corresponding Ribbons, 1" and 1/4" {or bigger, if you'd like}
  • Thread (for making bow)
  • Elastic Lace
  • Lingerie Strap Slides and Rings

Here's what they look like - find at any fabric store in the notions section.


Step 1: Cut a length of your elastic, approximately 10" long.  On one end, thread thru ring and hot glue.  Then put on one slide, and the other loop.  Do NOT glue these down.

Step 2: Thread the loose end of your strap thru the slide {directions are on the back of package}.  Your second ring should now have the elastic "looped" thru it.
 

Step 3: Hot glue the loose end of elastic to the back side of loop.  NOT towards the first loop.

Step 4: Cut a length of your larger ribbon, approx. 9" and thread through one loop and hot glue, then do same for other side.  Make sure your elastic and ribbon aren't twisted, and turned the way you'd like them to be.
 

Step 5: Make your bow.  Sorry, no pictures of this step.  Great videos on YouTube tho!  Attach to ribbon headpiece, using hot glue.

Step 6: Using 1" strips of your smaller thread, wrap them around the raw ends of the larger ribbon, near the rings.  {Ouch, this is where I burned myself!}

VOILA!  A headband that will truly grow with your little girl and not leave those red indents in her precious head.

All in all, this cost me about $5.00 for the elastic and the hardware - but you get enough for 3 headbands.  These kind of headbands usually run anywhere from $7-$12 dollars in boutiques.  Not too shabby!

No comments: