Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pumpkin Sheet Cake

Day 12
Fall eats and treats!

~~~

I love the flavors of Fall (and the colors, and smells, and overall atmosphere!) But one of my favorite thing to do is eat! There are a lot of foods I only eat in October and November. Don't ask me why...I guess something about them just screams "FALL!" This is a super easy, super yummy pumpkin sheet cake, and lucky you, I'm sharing the recipe. This has actually replaced pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving at my house.

In a mixing bowl, beat 1 can (15 oz.) solid pack pumpkin, 2 C sugar, and 1 C vegetable oil.

Add 4 eggs, lightly beaten.

Combine 2 C all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add to pumpkin mixture and beat until well blended.

Pour into a greased jelly roll pan (15x10x1). Bake at 350* F for 25-30 minutes until the cake tests done.
While waiting, set out 1 pkg. of cream cheese and 5 Tbs butter to soften. I ALWAYS forget to do this!
Let your cake cool. Read a book. Take a walk. Blog!
For the frosting, I never do exact measurements, but I'll do my best to give you some. Beat the cream cheese, butter and 1 tsp. vanilla until smooth. Gradually add 1.5 C to 2 C powdered sugar. Add enough milk for the frosting to reach the desired spreading consistency. {Sorry, I guess I missed pictures for this step.}

Frost cake. And for those of you who ruin things with nuts, I suppose it's OK if you sprinkle some on top.

Here's the recipe again, minus pictures for your convenience.

1 can (15 oz) solid pack pumpkin
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp backing soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Frosting:
1 pkg (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
5 Tbs butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1.5-2 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tsp milk
chopped nuts (optional)

In a mixing bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar and oil. Add eggs, mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt: add to pumpkin mixture and beat until well blended. Pour into a greased jelly roll pan (15x10x1). Bake at 350* F for 25-30 minutes until cake tests done. Cool.

For frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth. Gradually add sugar; mix well. Add enough milk until frosting reaches the desired spreading consistency. Frost cake. Sprinkle with nuts, if desired.

No comments: