Friday, November 20, 2009

Tea Rose Home Mannequin Tutorial

For reals? I am so in love with this. I don't even care that she thinks it isn't perfect. It's practically the most darling thing I have laid my eyes on in forever. If only I didn't think my little man would destroy it. But it's going in my stack of things to come once my little miss has her own room.

Check out Tea Rose Home HERE for more awesome ideas.




I can use this to make a mannequin! Just in case you want one, here is how I did it.

You will need:

Torch Stand
Wooden Dowel
One can of white spray paint(make sure that it is the kind that is made for metal and plastic)
Old blanket or Bath towels
Batting
Muslin
Iron or wood decorative top
Glue gun, needle and thread

How to:

1. Put the wooden dowel into the torch stand and tighten the screw. Spray paint the whole thing.


2. Cut several peices of 4" wide batting for the neck. Glue the first part to the dowel and start wrapping it tightly, until you get the thickness you want. You can either sew the end or glue it.


3. Using the same method, wrap the old towel or blanket to the dowel. I folded the old blanket and made it 15" tall for the body.


4. Add batting around the neck area to make a more natural and smooth look.


5. Cover the whole thing with batting. It was easier for me to sew it on to the body. I felt like I had more control and compared to using the glue gun, it is less permanent.


6. Cover the whole body with muslin. This part is a little tricky. Especially around the neck area. Sew the body part first, then the bottom and the top.


7. Around the neck area, you will need to cut some excess fabric off. Use the glue gun to secure the fabric to the top of the dowel as you make pleats.


8. I sewed lace around it.


9. Then, screw in the topper for the finishing touch.


10. Done!


and, the mannequin with some clothes on...

No comments: