Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Hat for the Kids

So I've been meaning to post this hat tutorial for quite a while. Then I couldn't find my pattern. So I put it off for another while until I had the gumph to get to it. It doesn't take but 10 minutes to make this hat. Shame on me. So, grab some fabric and let's get to it.

Note, I made this hat out of some fleece I had lying around. I've also used knit fabrics and it works great! I would ere on the side of sizing smaller with knit though, as it tends to stretch more.

Get the pattern - I drew this out on an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. Nothing fancy. My acrobat is acting up or I'd put it up for you. If I figure it out, I will post it.


First, place out your pattern. But piece A with a short side along a fold. This while be your brim. Cut out two of piece B. These will make up your hat.
Here's what you should have.
Stitch the hat (pieces B) together around the curved edge, leaving the straight edges open. Be sure to back-stitch. Then stitch the two short edges of piece A together, making a large loop.
Fold your loop in half so it's now half the width and the open edges are touching. Turn your hat right side out. Now pin all the raw edges together (it will be three thick).
Be sure to line up your seams for a clean, finished look. Stitch all the way around your hat to connect the two pieces.
Fold the brim down and you have a beanie hat.
**Optional: You can turn the hat inside out, and do a small stitch perpendicular to the seam to create a "four cornered" look.

Embellish any way you'd like. Sorry for my lack of a model, she was sleeping.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

That turned out so cute!